Friday, February 10, 2012

Sundance Calling...

When it comes to jewelry, I am amazed and inspired by the artists and artisan jewelry in the Sundance Catalog.  Honestly, this is what I aspire to be.  What a kick it would be to be featured on the pages next to Jes Maharry! 
While that remains a dream at the moment, I will continue to use the catalog as inspiration for my pieces.  As an artist, I am very cautious not to rip off the designs of others. Technique though, I try and mimic in order to continue to grow my own talent and design capabilities.  
The handmade market is full of wonderful jewelry designers, artists, and metal smiths.   Sometimes it is easy to think of just giving up and letting everyone else have at it.  As a matter of fact, this has been suggested to me.  This is my theory on the matter.  First, everyone has a different taste and style and no one artisan can fill the needs of all the various likes and wants. Second, I like creating beautiful jewelry.  It’s fun. It’s rewarding. It’s my thing! I am not switching gears now!  Third, there is room for everyone!  I have a jewelry box full of jewelry of all different shapes colors and sizes.  I can’t imagine only being able to buy from one or two people.  Variety is the spice of life!  I am if I sat here all typing all evening I could bore you to tears with all the reasons why I believe it is perfectly fine that there are so many jewelry designers, and artisans in the world, but let’s just leave it at this for now.  The fact of the matter is, whether Sundance calls or not, I plan to keep on creating beautiful jewelry. 


No comments:

Post a Comment